Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Egg Muffins & Coconut Macaroons

Last night I did a little more food prep for the rest of the week. I made cauliflower mash, of which I'm a little bit wary because it's brown and smells funky... And I also made my breakfast for the week! 

Breakfast: Egg Muffins smothered with salsa and green chiles - even Joel asked if he could have some, so you know they're good! 

Here's the how to:
• In a large bowl, combine 10-12 eggs and whatever vegetables you like. I added diced jalapeño and diced/sautéed onions to mine, along with a little pepper. 
• Mix it all up, grease a muffin pan with olive oil spray - or better yet, just use those little cupcake liners - and divide the egg mixture evenly between the cups. 
• Cook 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are no longer runny. Time will depend on how full your cups are.
• Store in Tupperware in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave for a quick breakfast. Top with salsa or eat plain!

For dinner tonight, we were supposed to have garlic chicken with roasted broccoli and cauli mash or sweet potato casserole, but I didn't have time to make the chicken yesterday, and Joel and I both had long days at work today... so Chipotle won out! 

This was my first time eating out while on the Paleo diet, and it wasn't near as hard as you'd think. First of all, Chipotle was a great choice because they only use the best ingredients. Their slogan is "food with integrity" and if you check out their website (http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/fwi/fwi.aspx) you can see for yourself - almost all of their food is Paleo approved! I had a salad bowl which consisted of lettuce, chicken, pico de gallo, salsa, and guacamole. No cheats there!

If you know me, you know I'm slightly really ridiculously addicted to diet soda (and caffeine in general, really). You probably also know that I've had issues with chronic headaches and migraines for years (yet another condition Paleo eating is supposed to help). So today, I did cheat for the first time and have a Diet Coke to help a headache...

The funny thing was, it didn't really help and it actually made my stomach hurt later! Looks like my body is already catching on that I've been feeding it crap, and now that I've started giving my body REAL food, it rebels when I switch back to the processed junk!  (Do you know what's in Diet Coke? Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), phosphoric acid, and citric acid. I can't even pronounce some of those ingredients! No wonder it made me feel yucky.)

No food prep tonight, but I did make some yummy coconut macaroons that were by far the easiest thing I've made (besides almond butter). 

You'll need:
• 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes (found at Whole Foods, Sprouts, or other health food stores)
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup pure honey

That's it! Just mix it all up, drop sticky spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet, and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. DELISH. Shout out to Jill for the great recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment