Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tea is the New Coffee

I didn't realize Paleo would make coffee so hard. 

Let me explain. I've never really been one of those people who has to have their coffee before they can function. I'm naturally a morning person, so I don't NEED coffee. I just LOVE coffee. 

Joel says I don't love coffee, I just love sugar and cream, which is actually pretty true. My pre-Paleo coffee was about 3/4 coffee and 1/4 coconut creamer with two BIG spoonfuls of Splenda. It was delicious, but it did not taste like coffee.

I even have this sign in my kitchen:



So when I went Paleo, I just figured I'd leave out the Splenda and swap coconut creamer for unsweetened coconut milk. 

I have no idea what I was thinking. It was AWFUL. I could actually taste the COFFEE! The best I've been able to do is half coffee and half coconut milk, and I still have to add at least one spoonful of sugar (which I figure, if you have to have a sweetener, is better than the processed chemicals in Splenda because at least it's natural) and then I can mostly choke it down. 

But like I said - I never drank coffee because I needed it. I drank it because I liked it, and I DON'T like this version... So no more coffee for me until I find a suitable Paleo coffee creamer. 

Now what I DO like is tea. English breakfast tea from Fortnum & Mason, in particular. 



It is just delightful with coconut milk! I still add a little sugar, but I'm slowly decreasing the amount and will eventually cut it out altogether. It tastes great AND I get to use my cute teapot and metal leaf catcher (no idea what that's actually called). Double win!


If you've never tried hot tea with milk, I highly recommend it. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment