Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Leftover Spaghetti Squash

Yesterday, being Monday, was another out-to-eat night. Technically, it was a change-out-of-pajamas-and-go-pick-up-some-food-to-bring-home-and-eat-on-the-couch-while-watching-the-bachelorette night. Please don't judge me for immediately changing into pajamas as soon as I get home from work every day.

Thankfully, Market Street is only about a mile or two away, so we ran over there to grab dinner when we realized we had nothing to eat at home besides leftovers. If you haven't been to Market Street, let me tell you how amazing it is. It's the best grocery store (kind of a mix of HEB, Central Market, and United) with great fresh produce, pretty extensive meat and deli counters, and bulk nuts/seeds/granola. I'm obsessed.

But the best part about Market Street is the restaurant in the produce/bakery section! Right next to the deli counter is their "restaurant" area. There is a sandwich counter, a pizza oven (you can buy by the slice), a "home cooking" station, a salad bar... And so much more! Before going Paleo, I was a sucker for a chicken salad sandwich with a side of fried okra. YUMMM. But this time, I decided to check out the home cooking station.

I got baked chicken, asparagus, and sweet potato fries. I even said no to a roll! Yet again it was proven to me just how easy it is to stick with the Paleo concept even when eating out.

Again, you have to be realistic when eating out. I can't control how everything is prepared unless I cook it myself, and that is just unrealistic. So I'm sure the sweet potato fries were cooked in some kind of unapproved oil, and I think the asparagus may have had butter or cheese or something on them, but I didn't let that ruin it for me. I still considered this a good ole Paleo dinner!

And look at it! Does that not look delicious?! It was. I ate every bite. Except the asparagus. I found that I don't really like asparagus unless it's smothered with melted Velveeta cheese. Oh the things my mom did to get me to eat vegetable when I was little...


Today, I finally decided it was time to eat some leftovers. I made Joel some fresh pasta, but I had leftover spaghetti squash with pesto, fresh tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, shredded chicken, freshly minced garlic, and some spicy tomato and basil pasta sauce. I just heated everything up on the stove in a pan and it was so easy! Joel's was the same thing, but with real spaghetti instead of squash. 

My spaghetti squash was much better the second time around! I've found having a stronger sauce definitely helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment