Monday, September 16, 2013

Week 1, Day 1

This morning, I worked out for the first time in months. Yes, you read that right. I drug myself out of bed at 6:15 to go to the gym before work. 

I'm adding weight training to my normal cardio-only routine. I certainly don't want to bulk up, but I had a great routine in college that really helped me tone up in under half an hour each day. Each day focuses on two body parts, with three exercises each. Today was back and biceps, Wednesday will be chest and triceps, and Thursday will be legs and shoulders. 

The back exercises I do are the lat pull down (machine), seated compound row (machine), and one arm dumbbell rows. For biceps, I do curls, first with individual dumbbells and then with a barbell. I do three sets of 12 reps of each exercise with a 30 second rest in between a sets. 

After I did my weight training, I jumped on the treadmill for a quick mile then hit the shower before work! Thankfully our gym is really nice so I don't really mind getting ready there in the mornings. 

What I Ate
Breakfast:
- Chocolate Mint Zone Bar (210 cal)

Morning Snack:
- unsweetened applesauce (50 cal)
- all natural fruit strip (45 cal)

Lunch:
- banana with peanut butter (300 cal)

Afternoon Snack:
- 1 oz cheddar cheese (110 cal)
- 8 Wheat Thin crackers (65 cal)

Dinner:
- 1/2 chicken breast (90 cal)
- 1/4 russet potato (73 cal)
- baby carrots (29 cal)
- 2T Italian dressing (70 cal)

I made dinner in the crockpot today so it was ready right when we got home. All I did was put 3 large chicken breasts on the bottom of the crockpot, pour a bag of baby carrots over the chicken, and roughy chop up 2 russet potatoes to put on top. I salted and peppered the potatoes (and wish I would have done the same for the chicken and carrots) then poured 2 cups Italian dressing over everything and turned it onto low right before we left. It ended up cooking for 11 hours, which was probably a little too long. 

It wasn't great, but it was easy enough that I'll probably still make it again. Next time, I'll experiment with different spices for the chicken and vegetables, as it was a little bland this time. 

Based on my activity level today, I was allotted 1160 calories and I consumed 1142. I also drank 121 fluid ounces of water!

Day 1: success!

No comments:

Post a Comment